Warren Sylvester Gibbs
- Born: 1837, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York
- Marriage: Rhoda Thompson
- Died: 28 May 1899, Rochester, Monroe, New York at age 62
Noted events in his life were:
• Birth: Census. 1850, 10 years old (1840)
1855, 18 years old (1837)
1870, 36 years old (1834)
1880, 44 years old (1836)
1892, 55 years old (1837)
Using 1837 which is most consistent with all dates.
• Name: Multiple sources. He is listed as what is believed to be Sylvester in the 1850 Census, living with his mother and Edmund Paine.
He is listed as Sylvester in 1855 New York State Census.
In 1880 Census, he is listed as Warren.
In Clarissa Gray's will probate notice, he is listed as Warren ?.
In Sampubco will reference, he is listed as Warren S.
• Residence: Living with his mother and Edmund Paine, 1850, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. From 1850 Census
• Residence: From 1855 New York State Census, Page 135, 26 Jun 1855, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. He is living with his uncle and grandmother.
Dwelling #212: framed, $200
Harvy Gray, 46, born Onondaga, married, res. 22 yrs., farmer, native, owner
Lucy Gray, 35, wife, born St. Lawrence, married, res. 20 yrs.
Charles Gray, 18, born Oswego (no occup.)
Laura M. Gray, 6, born Oswego
Mary E. Gray, 4, born Oswego
Ida Gray, 1, born Oswego
Clarissa Gray, 82, born Columbia (Co.), widow, res. 42 yrs.
Sylvester Gibbs, 18, nephew, born Oswego, farmer
• Residence: From 1870 Census, 1870, Rochester, Monroe, New York.
• Occupation: Locomotive Engineer, 1870, Rochester, Monroe, New York. From 1870 Census
• Residence: From 1880 Census, 1880, Rochester, Monroe, New York. 290 East Main Street
• Occupation: Railroad Engineer, 1880, Rochester, Monroe, New York. From 1880 Census
• Occupation: Engineer, 1892, Rochester, Monroe, New York. From 1892 New York State Census
His age is given as 55, making his birth year about 1837.
His wife, Rhoda, and son, Everett, are living with him.
• Death: Will at Sampubco.com, Abt 1899, Rochester, Monroe, New York. GIBBS, WARREN S. ROCHESTER NY-28-64-133
64 = 1898-1900
• Obituary: Buffalo Courier, Monday Morning, Page 1, 29 May 1899, Buffalo, Erie, New York. Warren S. Gibbs
Rochester, May 28.-Warren S. Gibbs died today at his residence in this city, aged 62 years. He was one of the oldest and most faithful men in the employ of the New York Central, having been all his life engaged in railroading as a locomotive engineer.
• Cemetery: From Find a Grave, 28 May 1899, Rochester, Monroe, New York. Warren S Gibbs
Death: May 28, 1899
New York, USA
Rochester, New York
The Democrat and Chronicle newspaper
Wednesday, May 29, 1899
Page 11, Column 2
WARREN S. GIBBS.
Well-Known Citizen and Railroad Man Died at an Advanced Age.
Warren S. Gibbs died yesterday at his home, No. 603 East Main street, aged 62 years. He was a well-known citizen and had resided in Rochester for many years. He commenced his life work as a lineman on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western railroad, running from Syracuse to Oswego. After leaving that road he went into the employ of the Central-Hudson, and continued there to the time of his death.
He was promoted to the position of engineer, which position he held for over thirty-five years. Mr. Gibbs was a man highly esteemed by employers and fellow employees. Being of a reticent nature, he never allowed himself to be known except by his works. A man of strict integrity he was well liked by everyone, and leaves many friends outside of his immediate family.
Mr. Gibbs was long a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and, while not conspicuous in its doings, he was more than loved by his companions of that order.
He leaves a widow and three children, Mrs. Elmer E. Clark of Syracuse; Van R. Gibbs and Everett O. Gibbs, of the law firm of Hulett & Gibbs, of this city. The funeral will be held from his late home on Wednesday at 3 o'clock.
Rhoda Thompson Gibbs (1838 - 1916)
Estella S. Gibbs Clark (1864 - 1942)*
Mount Hope Cemetery
New York, USA
Plot: N 1/2 - 147
Created by: Tom C.
Record added: Jan 18, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 103750124
Warren married Rhoda Thompson, daughter of Josiah Thompson and Polly Haines. (Rhoda Thompson was born on 22 Sep 1838 in New York and died on 12 Mar 1916 in Syracuse, New York.)