- Born: 1802, England
- Marriage (1): Sophia Meade on 28 Mar 1850 in Oswego Town, Oswego, New York
- Marriage (2): Unkown
- Died: 30 Nov 1887, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York at age 85
Noted events in his life were:
• Birth: Oswego Daily Times Friday Evening, 31 Aug 1877, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. Old Settlers Meeting
John Parkinson, born in England in 1802, came to Oswego in 1832.
• Residence: History of Oswego County, 1833, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. John Parkinson, from England, settled in Oswego town, on present farm of W. R. Worden, in 1833, clearing said farm. David D. Gray cleared a portion of lot 21, where Mr. Parkinson now resides, in an early day.
• Residence: From 1840 Census, 1840, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. Males 0 to < 5 years old: 1 (may be Charles age 2. He is listed in 1860 census as age 22, but not listed in 1850 Census)
Males 5 to < 10 years old: 1 (Unkown)
Males 30 to < 40 years old: 1 (John age 38)
Males 70 to < 80 years old: 1 (Unknown, but may be his father)
Females 10 to < 15 years old: 1 (Unknown, but could be Anne Parkinson listed in 1860 Census, age 30, boarding with Worth family)
• Residence: From 1850 Census, 1850, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. Note: Several of the children are actually David D. Gray's, not John Parkinson's.
Name: John Parkinson
Residence: Oswego township, Oswego , New York
Age: 50 years
Calculated Birth Year: 1800
Film Number: 444292
Digital GS Number: 4203129
Image Number: 192
Line Number: 5
Dwelling House Number: 248
Family Number: 251
Free or Slave:
Household Gender Age
John Parkinson M 50y
Sophia Parkinson F 42y
Nathaniel Parkinson M 11y Gray
Frederick Parkinson M 9y Gray
Mary Parkinson F 7y Gray
Harvey Parkinson M 3y
Benj Parkinson M 6y
Isabella Parkinson F 14y Gray
• Residence: From 1855 New York State Census, Page 136, 27 Jun 1855. Dwelling #190: framed, $600
John Parkinson, 52, born England, married, res. 22 yrs., farmer, naturalized, owner
Sophia M. Parkinson, 47, wife, born NY County, res. 40 yrs., native
William D. Gray, 14, stepchild, born Oswego
Mary L. Gray, 12, stepchild, born Oswego
Charles N. Parkinson, 16, born Oswego, farmer
Benjamin C. Parkinson, 9, born Oswego
Harvy C. Parkinson, 7, born Oswego
• Death: The Palladium Times - 100 Years Ago, 30 Nov 1987, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. Looking Back-
100 Years Ago
"The death is announced today of Mr. John Parkinson, one of the earliest and best known citizens of Qswego-Town. He was born in England 85 years ago this month and came to Oswego in this month" the Palladium reported.
Monday, Page 4
John married Sophia Meade on 28 Mar 1850 in Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. (Sophia Meade was born in 1807 in New York, died on 6 Sep 1893 in Oswego Town, Oswego, New York and was buried in Rural Cemetery, Oswego, New York.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage Banns: COMMERCIAL TIMES, Tuesday, 2 Apr 1850, Oswego, Oswego, New York. MARRIED
In this city, Thursday evening, by Rev. Dr. Condit, Mr. JOHN PARKINSON, to Mrs. SOPHIA M. GRAY.
Subject: Gray, Sophia M.
Description: Married John Parkinson on March 28 in Oswego Source: Oswego Palladium. 4/6/1850
Page: 3 Column: 1
Records Pertaining to the First Presbyterian Church in the City of Oswego, N.Y.
Transcribed by: The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society.
Edited by: Royden Woodward Vosburgh
New York City, October 1917.
PRIVATE MARRIAGE RECORDS OF REV. ROBERT W. CONDIT, D. D.
March 28, 1850 John Parkinson to Mrs. Lydia Gray $4.80
John next married Unkown.