Abigail Kidder Gray
- Born: 12 Feb 1805, Town of Onondaga, New York
- Marriage: Elisha Howell Shepard in 1825 in Oswego, Oswego, New York
- Died: 15 Feb 1884, Oswego, New York at age 79
- Buried: Town of Granby, New York
Noted events in her life were:
• Land: From Oswego Daily Palladium, Saturday, 5 Apr 1873, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. Sales of Real Estate Recorded This Week
Abigail Shepard to Laura C. Shepard, lot in Seventh Ward, city, $600. April, 1871.
• Will: SHEPARD, ABIGAIL K. OSWEGO NY-38-P-55, 1883-1886, Oswego, New York. From Sampubco index.
• Death: THE PALLADIUM, SATURDAY, 16 Feb 1884, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. THE PALLADIUM, SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 1884, PAGE 4
SHEPARD - February 15, 1884, Abigail Gray Shepard widow the late Elisha H. Shepard, aged 79 years and three days.
Funeral Sunday, February 17, 1884 ________ __________ from her late address _______ ______ West Fifth and ________ streets.
• Obituary: OSWEGO TIMES AND EXPRESS, Friday Evening, 15 Feb 1884, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. OSWEGO TIMES AND EXPRESS, Friday Evening, February 15, 1884
DEATH OF MRS. ABIGAIL SHEPARD
Mrs. Abigail Shepard, one of the oldest residents of this city, died this morning after a brief illness al the age of 79 years. Mrs. Shepard was one of the well known Gray family of the town of Oswego, the only surviving brother being the venerable Jesse Gray of that town. The family came to the town of Oswego about 1811. Mrs. Shepard was born in the town of Onondaga, Feb. 12, 1805, and since 1847 has lived on the corner of Fifth and Ellen streets. Mr. Shepard has been dead for some years. The children are Oscar E. Shepard, Supervisor of the Seventh ward, James H., Charles G., and Commander E. M. Shepard of the United States navy. The deceased was an estimable lady, admirable in all of the relations of life. She had a serious fall about two years ago, from which, it is thought, she never fully recovered. Yet her health was apparently good and it was only two days ago when she was attacked by the illness which terminated in her death at 2:30 o'clock this morning. The funeral takes place Sunday from her late residence at 1 p.m.
• Funeral: Times and Express, Monday Evening, 18 Feb 1884, Oswego Town, Oswego, New York. Funeral of Mrs. Shepard.
The funeral of the late Mrs. Abigail J. Shepard took place at 1 o'clock this afternoon from the family residence, corner of West Fifth and Elm streets and was largely attended. The remains were taken to Granby for interment. The services were conducted by Rev, Wm. L. Parker, rector of Christ church. The following were the pall-bearers: I.G. Jenkins, Seymour Coe, Edward Stevenson, and J. A. Place. Among others of the friends present was Commander E. M. Shepard, of the U. S, navy, who arrived home from New York Saturday night for the purpose of attending the funeral.
• Cemetery: Lewis Cemetery, 1884, Town of Granby, New York. http://towngranby.org/content/Generic/View/8
Headstones in Lewis Cemetery.
SHEPARD, Abigail [Kidder Gray] b. 2/12/1805 d. 2/15/1884
[d/o David Gray]
Abigail married Elisha Howell Shepard, son of Abraham Shepard Jr. and Lucretia Howell, in 1825 in Oswego, Oswego, New York. (Elisha Howell Shepard was born on 9 Jan 1801 in Greene, New York, died on 3 Sep 1877 in Oswego Town, Oswego, New York and was buried in Town of Granby, New York.)